Board Approves Partnership with KinderCare
Working for Maricopa County, one of the state’s largest employers, will soon come with a new benefit: on-site childcare.
Today, the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors approved a $13 million contract with KinderCare Learning Companies to operate a future childcare facility at 441 W. Madison St., near the county administration building and many other county-owned facilities in downtown Phoenix.
“This funding shows Maricopa County’s commitment to supporting county employees and their families,” said Chairman Clint Hickman, District 4. “This resource is just one of the many benefits the county offers to attract and retain a qualified workforce in the long term.”
MCKids Club will serve county employees and their families exclusively, providing a safe, supportive learning environment for kids six weeks to five years old. It will be open seven days a week, and eventually 24 hours a day to accommodate second and third shift workers.
“Finding reliable and affordable childcare remains one of the biggest barriers to employment, particularly for women,” said Jen Pokorski, County Manager. “This facility will help numerous Maricopa County families balance work and family responsibilities more effectively.”
Construction on MCKids Club is scheduled to begin in early 2024 with an opening date sometime in 2025. But county employees won’t have to wait that long to get access to lower cost childcare. KinderCare will provide county staff with a 10% discount on full-time, part-time, or drop-in tuition at any of their facilities starting November 1.
“Childcare is a vital benefit, ranked second only to health insurance,” said Dan Figurski, President of KinderCare for Employers. “Employers, like Maricopa County, who offer their employees flexible childcare benefits are better able to retain their current employees, attract new talent, and boost productivity by reducing some of the stress that comes with finding quality childcare.”
About Maricopa County
In addition to discounted childcare, Maricopa County offers a generous benefits package that includes top-tier health care plans with low premiums, paid vacation, sick time, and parental leave; a variety of retirement savings plans; and free public transit. You can browse job openings and apply online at Maricopa.gov/jobs.
About KinderCare Learning Companies®
A leading provider early childhood and school-age education and care, KinderCare builds confidence for life in children and families from all backgrounds. KinderCare supports hardworking families in 40 states and the District of Columbia with differentiated flexible child care solutions to meet today’s dynamic work environment:
- In neighborhoods, with KinderCare® Learning Centers that offer early learning programs for children six weeks to 12 years old and with Crème de la Crème®, which offers a premium early education model using a variety of themed classrooms;
- For work, wherever employees work, offering customized employer-supported child care benefits at more locations than any other provider, and
- In local schools, with Champions® before and after-school programs.
KinderCare programs meet the highest standards, validated by independent, third-party evaluation including:
- Gallup, measuring workforce engagement,
- National Association for the Education of Young Children, ensuring individual early learning center quality,
- Cognia, accreditation for before- and after-school programs
- BRIGANCE® and TerraNova® assessments of children’s academic progress and achievement, and
- WELL Health-Safety Rating™, validating health and safety practices in our facilities.
Headquartered in Lake Oswego, Oregon, KinderCare operates more than 2,000 early learning centers and sites. In 2023, KinderCare earned its seventh Gallup Exceptional Workplace Award – one of only four organizations worldwide to achieve this milestone for six consecutive years. To learn more, visit KC-Learning.com.